Becoming a Physician

Scholarship recipients share their experiences as UF medical students
28
Apr

Cruising to the finish line

By •• Posted in Uncategorized

I recently completed my last clinical rotation of fourth year and I spent it on the Mobile Outreach Clinic (MOC) Bus. The goal of the MOC is to travel to underserved communities of Gainesville to provide basic medical care. This experience was a great way to end fourth year because I got to spend weeks helping the people I came to medical school to serve. Each day I was able to learn from and work with like-minded physicians and physician assistants, which made each day so enjoyable.

Additionally, I was paired with an undergraduate student interested in the health field and got to teach them about important questions to ask for certain patient chief complaints and point out interesting physical exam findings. I found this to be great preparation for residency because in just a few short months I will be paired with a third- or fourth-year medical student and will be asked to teach them about patients we see together. Overall, I think it was an awesome rotation and I hope to find time to do similar work in residency when I have free time.

A little thing called Match Day happened last month, and I was fortunate enough to match at the University of Texas Southwestern (UTSW) for an internal medicine residency position. I recently learned a fun fact about UTSW: The physician who invented Gatorade, a UF staple, went to UTSW for his medical training before coming to UF to invent the tasty sports beverage. So even in Texas, I will still shout GO GATORS!

Overall our class did really well, with two-thirds of people matching into residency positions associated with top 50 medical schools (including UF!). Check out this link for a UF College of Medicine Match Day video recap. I am excited about my move to Dallas, Texas, to start residency, but it will be a bittersweet day as my classmates and I go our separate ways.

It is hard to believe in just three short weeks I will walk across the stage to become Lauren Simmons, M.D. But first up: Internship 101!

Lauren enjoys some rare recreational time with classmates and friends in the last part of fourth year. Upon graduation, she will head to the University of Texas Southwestern to complete her residency in internal medicine.

Tagged as:

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.