Becoming a Physician

Scholarship recipients share their experiences as UF medical students
29
Jan

The interview trail — with a surprise ending

By •• Posted in Uncategorized

Collage #2

From coast to coast and north to south, I racked up quite a few frequent-flyer miles and put some extra miles on my car during the interview season. Two months of packing and unpacking suitcases gets old fast, along with nonstop traveling, but overall it was fun going to different places. On the journey, I ran into some of my UF classmates on a few interviews — and, even more surprising — I ran into a couple of my old MIT classmates, including one who is a current IM resident and another who was on the interview trail like me. “It’s a small world after all!”

I am fortunate enough not to have any interview horror stories about lost luggage or getting stuck in a snow apocalypse. However, I did have a handful of delayed flights that reduced my sleeping time between interviews on a couple of occasions, which can be a pretty big deal since some interview days run until 4 p.m. and dozing off won’t help you earn a high spot on anyone’s rank list.

But overall it was an awesome experience traveling all over the country and seeing the different hospitals and meeting other medical students. I also enjoyed doing a lot of touristy things in the cities I could afford to stay multiple nights in because I stayed with family or college friends. Now it is time for me to evaluate all of the programs I visited and make my rank list based on where I feel I can get the best residency training. I hope my classmates had a great interview season like I did, and I can’t wait to see where we all end up on Match Day (March 20).

Last, but certainly not least, I made a pit stop in Boston with my boyfriend who I met while studying at MIT, and in that very city where we first laid eyes on one another he asked me to be his wife! Best ending to interview season EVER!

Collage 1

Tagged as:

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.