Becoming a Physician

Scholarship recipients share their experiences as UF medical students
30
Dec

The End of 2014

By •• Posted in Uncategorized

This 2014 holiday season has been the last that I’ll have as a student with free time, and I’ve had a chance to relax before the New Year and my last semester of medical school. It does feel strange writing that down and knowing that graduation is just around the corner. Time has gone by so quickly, and I now understand what many doctors meant when they said that in medical school “the days are long but the years are short.” “It’s the same way in residency too,” they also told me, and I feel as though I will be realizing the meaning of those words again very soon.

I feel like my life has changed a lot over this year. Of course, every year of our lives is significant in one way or another, and it’s always good to think about what kinds of changes have taken place. Hopefully, many of those were positive ones. 2014 has successfully seen me through the end of my third year of school and the beginning of my fourth, past my second series of board exams, and into the midst of my residency interviews. Many things have been accomplished and many things are still underway. I remember enduring many long working days, talking with many interesting patients and working alongside many intelligent and witty students and doctors. I have grown a lot as a person and have a better idea of what I want my life as a doctor to be like and the kind of doctor I want to be. I’m happy to say that, if I could do the year over again, I wouldn’t do anything differently. I am happy with everything that went well, and I’ve learned not to regret the things that went wrong.

Though my life has changed much over the course of this year, there will definitely be many more changes in the next. Some of the changes are expected, like graduation and the residency match, while others will be unforeseen and unpredictable. I hope I am ready to meet those unexpected challenges when they come. Thinking about it, I used to be in such a hurry to get to this point in time. And now that I am here, I find myself wishing that these long days could be a little longer. It makes me wonder why I think that way; perhaps I am too happy with the present, or cautious about the future, or both. But if there is one thing we cannot control, it is time. It moves on, always to new and unfamiliar territory, but somehow seems to have a comforting way of repeating itself. No matter what happens, it feels like 2015 will be a very interesting year.

Tagged as:

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.