Becoming a Physician

Scholarship recipients share their experiences as UF medical students
27
Aug

Fourth year is here!

By •• Posted in Uncategorized
My classmate, Brittney Newby; myself; and my sister, Ashley Simmons at the Beyonce and Jay-Z concert during the On the Run tour.

My classmate, Brittney Newby; me; and my sister, Ashley Simmons, at the Beyonce and Jay-Z On the Run concert.

It is hard to believe I am eight months away from graduating medical school; it seems like only yesterday I was at orientation.

To begin my fourth year I traveled to  NYC for some shopping and good food and saw the Broadway play “Wicked.” I had an amazing time. Then I went home to visit my family, and while there, I attended the “On the Run” tour concert in Miami with my sister and classmate. After that I returned to Gainesville for the rest of my study month to prepare for the step 2CK and step 2CS examinations before I started clinical rotations.

Currently, my classmates and I are in the midst of putting together our residency applications, which include personal statements, requesting recommendation letters and writing all about the various activities we have done over the last few years.

I have decided on internal medicine (IM) as my specialty choice because of the complex problem solving and patient relationships you can develop on the wards or in an outpatient setting. Another aspect of IM that I find appealing is the large number of career opportunities available after residency such as hospitalist, primary care or procedural specialties like cardiology.

I am currently in the last week of my sub-internship rotation in internal medicine at the VA hospital. During these few weeks I have had the opportunity to act as an intern (the role of a first-year resident) and experience a few lab simulations to get some experience with code situations. It was a tough adjustment at first since I had not been on medicine wards in more than a year, but my attending and residents were very supportive and helped me get up to speed rather quickly.

And I’ve been running full steam ahead ever since! Last weekend I had the opportunity to work a few night shifts with night interns, which I thought was good insight into what I can expect next year as a resident during the few months I work at night.

Next month I start my combined Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Unit rotation along with submitting my ERAS application for residency. It should be a busy yet exciting month!

The Green Team selfie! First row: PGY1 Danielle McLaughlin Cobb; PGY1 Sarah Truelson; and PGY1 Sebastian Puig. Second row: MS3 Justin Dersch; me; PGY2 Carlos Leon. Third row: MS3 Cheri Mostisser and PAS2 Chris Pratt. Back row: PGY1 Joe Legacy and Dr. Hollander.

The Green Medicine Team selfie! First row: PGY1 Danielle McLaughlin Cobb; PGY1 Sarah Truelson; and PGY1 Sebastian Puig. Second row: MS3 Justin Dersch; me; PGY2 Carlos Leon. Third row: MS3 Cheri Mostisser and PAS2 Chris Pratt. Back row: PGY1 Joe Legacy and Dr. Hollander.

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.